Re: Emacs Git make bootstrap failure - idna related

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen
Subject: Re: Emacs Git make bootstrap failure - idna related
Date: Mon, 28 Dec 2015 19:18:07 +0100

Lars Ingebrigtsen <address@hidden> writes:

> Also, does anybody have an opinion on where Emacs should do IDNA
> decoding?  Since any service can theoretically be located on an IDNA
> name, I think the most likely place to do it is in
> `open-network-stream'.  Then both
>
> (open-network-stream ... "méxico.icom.museum" "imap")
>
> and
>
> `M-x eww http://méxico.icom.museum'
>
> would work without doing much work in all the different libraries...
>
> (Hm, url.el seems do be doing URL-encoding on the host name at present, so
> that'll have to be fixed.)

I've now made these changes, but haven't pushed them yet.  I'm now able
to visit that Mexican museum site with eww.  :-)

The changes are basically

        (make-network-process :name name :buffer buffer
-                             :host host :service service
+                             :host (puny-encode-domain host) :service service

in the calls to `make-network-process' in network-stream.el.
`puny-encode-domain' is a NOP for all normal, non-IDNA domain names, so
the potential for breakage should be pretty small...

Does anybody object to this change, or have a suggestion as to how to do
this in a different way?