Re: OS X: Change default key bindings of CMD and ALT

From: Random832
Subject: Re: OS X: Change default key bindings of CMD and ALT
Date: Fri, 01 Jan 2016 22:00:16 -0500

Anders Lindgren <address@hidden> writes:
> The main problem with the default layout is that on European
> keyboards, you can't type normal characters like "|" and "{" as they
> require the OS X "compose" key.

This functionality is not called "compose", and it's confusing to
refer to it as such. "compose" is an X11 feature where you can type
something like "compose, a, a" for å.

> I've read a number of bug reports, questions, and comments regarding
> this. The motivation behind the proposed change is for Emacs to
> provide a decent default behaviour so that it doesn't scare away first
> time users. (Power user can easily reconfigure the keys using the
> `ns-xxx-modifier' variables.)

The whole point of having command mapped to super is to allow for
key bindings that first time users expect. I think your proposal
would scare away more first time users than the current behavior.

> Of course, one can consider other layouts as well, including mapping
> the left and right keys differently (e.g. right ALT is compose and
> left ALT is meta). However 1) not all keyboards have all modifier keys
> and 2) many users want the modifier keys on either side of the
> keyboard to perform the same action. (Again, a power used can easily
> configure their keyboard to work this way.)

On Windows and Linux only the right-hand Alt key (called "AltGr")
performs this function in the first place, so I'm not convinced that
it would be as surprising as you think it is.

Are there any common keyboards (let's start with if there are any
sold by Apple - I think people who use third-party PC USB keyboards,
particularly that are not full 104/105-key keyboards, can be
considered "power users") that lack left and right option/alt keys?

>From what I can find, even their "compact" keyboards, i.e. laptop
keyboards and the Magic Keyboard, have command and alt/option on
both sides, though they lack a right-hand control key).