Re: Sending automatic crash reports to the FSF

From: Daniel Colascione
Subject: Re: Sending automatic crash reports to the FSF
Date: Sun, 3 Jan 2016 15:36:49 -0800

On 01/03/2016 03:33 PM, John Wiegley wrote:

>> More generally, how do we feel about automatically sending crash reports to
>> the FSF? Of course, we'd send reports stripped of personally identifiable
>> information, as is standard practice.
>
> This is a really good question. The number of users we have, compared to the
> number of people able to field such reports, is what makes me wary. Perhaps we
> could have a separate mailing list for such reports, without turning them into
> bugs automatically, just to keep us abreast of possible recurring patterns. It
> might even become a useful way to gather some statistics.

Do you have any idea who would run the servers that would receive these
reports? At both Facebook and Microsoft, the resources necessary to
store user crash reports are quite significant, and I wouldn't impose
that burden on the FSF. We'd definitely need some kind of aggregation
and sampling approach.

I'm not aware of any free software that handles the server-side aspect
of automated crash reporting. Does anyone here? I wonder what Mozilla is
using.