Re: Emacs Mac port

From: Martin Yrjölä
Subject: Re: Emacs Mac port
Date: Tue, 05 Jan 2016 12:50:13 +0200

Hi Chad and Yamamoto.

Chad Brown <address@hidden> writes:

>> On 04 Jan 2016, at 17:00, YAMAMOTO Mitsuharu <address@hidden> wrote:
>>
>> I'd like to hear what others think.  Do you want to have a restricted
>> version of the Mac port in the mainline?  Will you use it in
>> preference to the full-feature version distributed separately (e.g.,
>> via another git repository)?
>
> Speaking for myself: I do not use any form of the Mac port, but
> instead use the NS port (under Mac OSX), because I want to track
> the mainline (or the release candidate when such exists). From
> what I’ve seen, there are things in the Mac port that I would
> like to have (e.g. with regards to select), but I forgo in order
> to help (minimally) emacs development.
>
> Thanks,
> ~Chad

I'm in the same boat. I want to track the mainline and maybe get into
Emacs development, but I'm missing many of the Mac port's excellent
features, especially the improved integration with OS X. Even having a
restricted version merged to mainline would make me happier. However, I
hope that everything could be merged some time in the future, when we
figure out a way to support the same features on Linux.

I'm wondering what this merge would mean to the NS port? Is the NS port
made obsolete by the Mac port? I think it would be less effort to
maintain a single port for OS X.

Best regards,
Martin Yrjölä