Re: Adding async package to GNU ELPA

From: Michael Albinus
Subject: Re: Adding async package to GNU ELPA
Date: Thu, 07 Jan 2016 14:20:32 +0100

Artur Malabarba <address@hidden> writes:

>> Tramp needs its version string at different places. Therefore, the
>> version is kept only in configure.ac.
>
> Would it be possible to keep it in tramp.el instead, and retrieve it
> using `lm-version'?

No. The whole idea of trampver.el is to keep the version string away
from tramp.el. If the version string would be generated into
tramp.el, the development must be applied in tramp.el.in. Not applicable.

>> Alternatively, the package manager could retrieve the Version: header
>> from another file but tramp.el. trampver.el carries it already.
>
> Indeed. This might even be possible already, I'm not sure.

Some days ago, I've patched finder.el to support this. Since then, Tramp
is visible as built-in package. Would be great, if ELPA could support
this as well, if the approach with an own <foo>-pkg.el does not work.
However, I believe the approach with <foo>-pkg.el is superior.

Best regards, Michael.