Re: find-file-project

From: Dmitry Gutov
Subject: Re: find-file-project
Date: Sat, 9 Jan 2016 02:49:13 +0300

On 01/08/2016 10:11 PM, Stephen Leake wrote:

Hmm? the doc string of `locate-uniquified-file' says "return an
absolute-filename", not "visit a file".

Sorry, I got confused. I looked for an interactive function to showcase the logic, and there were only two of them. And only the first one actually worked interactively.

As written, though, it only lists files at the top-level of load-path,
without recursing.

Yes, that's consistent with `locate-file', and all other uses of
`load-path'.

I suppose so.

It's not how I'd imagine a `project-find-file' command to work.

To add all directories that contain elisp files, you need to build the
path iterator directly:

I would hesitate to ask that of every user.

But once you get used to it, you'll find that you simply don't care
about the directory; you really only need it to disambiguate colliding
names. So the suffix style makes sense.

One drawback of your method is that I don't know what to type, in advance. The necessary entry might have duplicates (and thus, a disambiguating prefix/suffix), or it might not. So it's hard to navigate to a file based on muscle memory alone.

The current project-find-file completion is not ideal, but it already makes that less of an issue.

How's the performance in the Emacs repository?

There is a noticeable delay, mostly due to computing the partial
completion (before I added that, there was no noticeable delay).

Did you try that using an iterator that visits the whole of Emacs
repo, not just load-path? E.g., I can't visit xdisp.c this way.

Yes; I use a variant of the above path-iterator constructor that adds
the C directories. But that also requires the project code to know about
multiple languages, so it's part of a multi-language project package.

Do you have any performance numbers?