Re: Should Glibc API be changed?

From: Florian Weimer
Subject: Re: Should Glibc API be changed?
Date: Tue, 19 Jan 2016 17:40:03 +0100

On 01/19/2016 02:52 PM, Richard Stallman wrote:

> I have written to the Glibc maintainers to ask them to discuss this
> with John, but I think that a proposal for such a big incompatibility
> calls for a very broad discussion before any decisions are made.

Richard,

I'm disappointed you chose a private mailing list for the discussion.
This doesn't really match how glibc development proceeds today.

I'm puzzled why you think this is a major change.  It only affects Emacs
and perhaps some unpublished (and therefore likely proprietary)
applications we know nothing about.

The research in the parent thread suggests that I was mistaken and Emacs
should compile just fine after removal of the API.  And as I wrote in my
initial message, this was never about removal of the ABI, so existing
Emacs binaries will keep working.

Florian