Re: Asynchronous DNS

From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
Subject: Re: Asynchronous DNS
Date: Sun, 24 Jan 2016 18:16:14 +0100

I've been reading make-network-process, and it's, er, complicated code.
Three levels of nesting #ifdefs.  But I think it can be separated into
two functions without breaking too much -- one that does (or starts
doing) name resolution, and one that calls connect (and the stuff after
that).

Doing asynch DNS can be triggered by the existing :nowait parameter
without breaking any existing callers, I think.

So: If called without :nowait, the first half of the function will call
the second one directly.  If called with :nowait, the second half of the
function will be called from within the bowels of
wait_reading_process_output somewhere.

Sound like a plan?  If so I'll start implementing on...  I think
Wednesday.  I may need some help on the autoconf stuff for
getaddrinfo_a, though.  :-)