Re: Entering Unicode characters

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Entering Unicode characters
Date: Mon, 25 Jan 2016 22:12:09 +0200

> Date: Mon, 25 Jan 2016 17:20:38 +0000 (GMT)
> From: Vivek Dasmohapatra <address@hidden>
> cc: address@hidden, address@hidden, address@hidden, address@hidden,
>     address@hidden
>
> > Indeed, such a feature would be a welcome addition.
>
> For situations where xcompose is not availble, why not mimic
> what xcompose does, albeit with a different prefix?
>
>     AltGr " e → ë
>     AltGr / o → ø
>     AltGr t e a → ☕

Sorry, I don't understand what you are proposing concretely.  When
xcompose is not available, what does Emacs see if you press, e.g.,
AltGr " e?  (You can use "C-h l" to find the answer.)  Does it at all
know that you pressed AltGr and not the left Alt (i.e. Meta) key?

And in any case, how is the above different from Emacs input methods?
There, too, a combination of keys produces a character that is not on
the keyboard.

Thanks.