Re: To non-native English writers: expunging the solecism "This allows t

From: Mathieu Lirzin
Subject: Re: To non-native English writers: expunging the solecism "This allows to do something."
Date: Tue, 26 Jan 2016 00:14:58 +0100

> are correct English, but they share the problem of failing
> to clarify who or what will do it.
>
>   > The same considerations also apply to "permit", "enable", and "prevent"
>
> That's right.  The point that we want to state who or what will be
> permitted, enabled or prevented applies to them too.
>
> Please everyone, fix these constructions to state the subject
> and follow correct English.

As a non-native english speaker, I feel bad when I read such injunctions
from you or Alan.

When stating such thing, it would be nice to acknowledge that it can be
difficult to write correct english especially when it isn't your primary
language.  Otherwise you feed a power relationship between contributors,
which is already strong enough.

What about creating some documentation about common english mistakes to
avoid, instead of urging people to not make them?  How would you feel if
the same injuctions were made about correctly using Git or anything you
are not comfortable at?

--
Mathieu Lirzin