Re: xref and displaying locations in appropriate window or frame

From: Dmitry Gutov
Subject: Re: xref and displaying locations in appropriate window or frame
Date: Wed, 27 Jan 2016 21:35:40 +0300

On 01/27/2016 09:08 PM, martin rudalics wrote:

Juri's intention was to put it right above the minibuffer.  But I
proposed ‘display-buffer-at-bottom’ to you only because it already is
in window.el.  You can always write your own ‘display-buffer’ action
function and put it into xref.el or, if it's of more common use, into
window.el.  This way you can avoid all limitations.

display-buffer-at-bottom looks adequate for its purpose. I'm only pointing out that *completions* is very rarely _below_ where you are.

I don't want to write my own action because it'll just be another piece of logic behaving differently from the rest. Hardly a beneficial thing.

 > IIUC, in Emacs it would require me to lower the font size to function
 > adequately, and that would negatively impact readability.

Why can't you increase the window height?

If we're emulating an IDE, though, the standard is to default to ~30% of the frame height, or less. The user might change the height, but even so, they're unlikely to increase it above 50% of the frame height, and in doing that, they'll cut the height of all file-visiting windows by half.