Re: Disappearance of hi-lock bindings from global key map.

From: Alan Mackenzie
Subject: Re: Disappearance of hi-lock bindings from global key map.
Date: Fri, 5 Feb 2016 14:47:07 +0000

Hello, Eli.

On Fri, Feb 05, 2016 at 04:28:03PM +0200, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
> > Date: Fri, 5 Feb 2016 11:36:35 +0000
> > Cc: address@hidden
> > From: Alan Mackenzie <address@hidden>

> > > That's not what I see here: when I turn on hi-lock-mode, the "C-x w"
> > > bindings are shown in the output of "C-h b".

> > > What exactly do you see that led you to the above conclusion?

> > emacs -Q

> > C-x w  (intending C-x w C-h) responds "C-x w is undefined".

> > On the other hand,
> > M-s h C-h displays the bindings in *Help*.

> I don't think you should expect the bindings of hi-lock-mode be in
> effect before you turned on that mode, don't you agree?

I'm not sure whether I agree or not.  ;-)  But I would expect them either
to be in effect, or not to be in effect.  At the moment, half of them are
in effect before the minor mode is enabled.  This is self-evidently
confusing, at least for me.

More exactly, hi-lock-mode had changed in my mental model from being
something requiring being enabled, to a fundamental feature, always
present.  This false model is what caused my original misunderstanding.

The question remaining is why the M-s h bindings are available without
turning on the mode.  Probably this isn't an important thing to resolve.

Experimentation shows that M-s h r enables hi-lock-mode, making all the
bindings available, whereas C-x w h remains unbound until such
enablement.  This is untidy.

--
Alan Mackenzie (Nuremberg, Germany).