Re: Asynchronous DNS

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Asynchronous DNS
Date: Sun, 07 Feb 2016 18:07:20 +0200

> From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <address@hidden>
> Cc: address@hidden
> Date: Sun, 07 Feb 2016 12:35:22 +1100
>
> >> There should be no impact on any existing use.  It should be 100%
> >> backward compatible.
> >
> > But it isn't, as was demonstrated by ERC.  And it cannot be 100%
> > backward compatible, unless the above-mentioned waiting is added to
> > the affected APIs.
>
> Again, it is not demonstrated by ERC.  ERC works fine with the new
> refactoring.

I would like us to avoid the need for refactoring.  With my
suggestion, the refactoring would only be needed if the application
wants to take full advantage of the async DNS resolution, but it will
still work correctly (albeit with some delays) if no refactoring was
done.

> I'm beginning to suspect that you're kinda just skimming my messages.

I'm sorry I caused this impression, because it's definitely not what
happens.  I carefully read everything that you write, in this thread
or in any other.