Re: Initial documentation for xwidgets

From: joakim
Subject: Re: Initial documentation for xwidgets
Date: Fri, 12 Feb 2016 22:08:03 +0100

Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> writes:

> I've pushed commit ef760b8, which is the initial attempt to document
> the xwidget features.  The user manual mentions a single command and
> the mode it enters.  The section in the ELisp manual mentions some of
> the primitives I thought were important to document.  The particular
> selection I decided to document, and the ones I decided to omit might
> not make sense, which is OK -- the whole issue makes very little sense
> to me for now, and the (abysmally inadequate, IMO) GTK documentation
> of the APIs used by xwidget.c doesn't help at all.  The result cannot
> be good enough by any measure.  Still, IMO it's better than no
> documentation at all, and at least a seasonal WebKit programmer should
> be able to figure the stuff out.
>
> Please review and comment on functions/commands that should be added
> to the documentation, and also on the correctness of the text.
>
> Thanks.

I finally read the documentation you wrote for xwidgets, and it was really good
thanks!

I have just two things.

- This fixme, I dont really have a good answer.
  @c FIXME: What else can a URI specify in this context?
The uri is just any ury webkit accepts, which isnt a very helpful
  explanation of course.

- When I read the documentation I noticed the term 'webkit-osr'. -osr
  stands for 'off screen rendering'.

There used to be different types of widgets, that weren't rendered
off-screen. I don't think I will re-introduce those widgets because they
were unreliable.

So, there will likely only ever be osr widgets, which makes the osr suffix
redundant.

I guess people might have started tinkering with xwidget-osr.

What do you think, should I change this, or does it not matter?

--
Joakim Verona