Re: Character literals for Unicode (control) characters

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Character literals for Unicode (control) characters
Date: Sat, 05 Mar 2016 20:16:02 +0200

> From: Clément Pit--Claudel <address@hidden>
> Date: Sat, 5 Mar 2016 12:53:10 -0500
>
> Sorry, maybe I wasn't clear. My point was about the fact that since the
> escapes and the actual characters don't have the same length, and since
> printing a docstring doesn't rewrap it, docstrings wrapped with M-q in the
> source will look wrong after rendering.

Doc strings should never be wrapped with the likes of M-q.  For
starters, this can make the first line include more than one
sentence.  More generally, there are already constructs we recognize
in doc strings that produce longer or shorter strings when displayed,
so M-q is just not up to the job, and shouldn't be used.