Re: Should we restore manually maintained ChangeLogs

From: Evgeny Panasyuk
Subject: Re: Should we restore manually maintained ChangeLogs
Date: Thu, 10 Mar 2016 16:14:13 +0300

10.03.2016 16:08, Eli Zaretskii:
Doing it this way will not change history.

How can it not change history, when (AFAIK) the log message is part of
the commit object, and it included in the stuff that determines the
SHA1 checksum of the commit?

As I understand it does not change original commit object, but rather creates kind of "replacement rule". In a similar manner as git notes attaches additional info to commit message without changing original one. If you would not fetch replacement refs then you will not see these "amendments".

--
Evgeny Panasyuk