Re: [Patch] hard-widen-limits [was Re: Syntax tables for multiple modes

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: [Patch] hard-widen-limits [was Re: Syntax tables for multiple modes [was: bug#22983: syntax-ppss returns wrong result.]]
Date: Mon, 21 Mar 2016 14:36:53 -0400

>> That it sets narrowing and leaves it there.  So it can't use
>> call-with-hard-narrowing for that.
> Why would it need it for?

Because an info file is made up of various nodes, and Emacs only shows
one node at a time by narrowing.  This narrowing should be "hard"
because font-lock and such should only operate on a node at a time.

The same was true for Rmail which used to show the content of each email
simply by narrowing the mailbox file to the specific email.  Not sure if
it still does that (clearly it can't be so simple with MIME's base64
and attachments).

> This is outside of use cases that I have in mind.

Indeed, it's a different case, but one where the narrowing should be
hard as well.

        Stefan