RE: [Emacs-diffs] widen-limits c331b66: Implement buffer-widen-limits fu

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: [Emacs-diffs] widen-limits c331b66: Implement buffer-widen-limits functionality
Date: Wed, 23 Mar 2016 16:03:35 -0700 (PDT)

> > It looks like someone perhaps implemented something and just tossed
> > some minimal doc into the manual, in the form of doc-string-like text
> > for a couple functions.
>
> The issue of prog-widen and prog-indentation-context was discussed
> extensively in the thread that led to this diff.
>   https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2016-03/threads.html#00859

Maybe so.  My comment was about the inadequate doc, which does not define
or in any way explain "sub-mode", its relation to chunks of text within
a "super-mode" etc.

This stuff needs to be defined.  Can sub-modes be nested (sub-sub-mode etc.)?
Etc.  There is nothing clear about this stuff, based on the doc.  And my
comment was limited to the doc - it was not a comment about any mail thread.

> Too long to be read from scratch I suppose.  My takeaway is that those
> features are raw and simplistic and bring more complications than they
> solve. Hopefully there will be a common consensus to put those on hold
> for now.

I have no opinion on what should be done, other than that whatever is
intended to be added as a feature should be presented and discussed
here first (IMO).  I asked for a mini-spec of the requirements, but
have seen nothing - no reasonable description of the whole problem
the feature is intended to address.