Re: Thinking about changed buffers

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Thinking about changed buffers
Date: Mon, 28 Mar 2016 15:22:09 -0400

>   if (BUF_SAVE_MODIFF (buf) == BUF_MODIFF (buf))
>     return Qnil;

This test basically never succeeds except when we already know the file
in not modified.

> we can short circuit the hash calculation like, almost always.  It would
> only be necessary (the first time per ... time) the buffer reaches the
> same size that it used to be.

Still seems problematic if your 5 year old takes 2.7s to compute it on
a 1GB file.  You don't want to freeze for 2s in the normal course of
editing just because you happen to cross the "original size" threshold.

        Stefan