Re: [Announce] The new Emacs homepage is online!

From: Chad Brown
Subject: Re: [Announce] The new Emacs homepage is online!
Date: Tue, 29 Mar 2016 18:25:59 -0700

> On 29 Mar 2016, at 15:35, Drew Adams <address@hidden> wrote:
>
> Maybe try looking beyond the first search hit.  Seriously, it's
> an interesting and not-so-obvious subject.  I think you'll find
> that more research supports dark on light than the reverse, but
> I won't claim that it does.  I looked into it many years ago,
> but of course things can change.

There’s solid research to support both light-on-dark and
dark-on-light, and further research to suggest that both ambient
light in the environment and type of use (mostly sequential
reading start to finish versus frequently jumping between places
versus mostly writing versus etc) are stronger factors than
either (and my information is also out of date).

The one thing that I think makes it worthwhile putting up at
least one colorful-on-dark screenshot on the current page is
this: the main “what does it look like?” screenshot uses the
default light background, but the “Discover Emacs in Video” links
all use a black background, and I’m sure you’re not going to get
Magnar to change.

> Adding a link to a page that shows a few different themes
> would be OK by me.  The idea would be to at least show some
> breadth of possibility, not necessarily to suggest themes
> that are popular or considered good.

If you are interested in including a variety, I’d suggest putting up
something with the default settings, one of the included themes with a
dark background like wheatgrass or wombat, one with Zenburn, and one
each with Solarized light and dark.

This shows variety while being likely recognizable to many potential
users. Just a thought.

~Chad