Re: SOLVED

From: Kaushal Modi
Subject: Re: SOLVED
Date: Thu, 05 May 2016 16:18:53 +0000

 I am a bit confused now, I cloned originally via

 git clone git://git.savannah.gnu.org/emacs.git

And then ever pulled from it from time to time. That is what?, master or
emacs-25?

By default the origin/master will be cloned.

I use the below to FORCE update to emacs-25

                                 git fetch --all
                                 git checkout origin/emacs-25
                                 git reset --hard origin/emacs-25

Right, I wanted to wait till I am again in Germany, since I could to it
electronically while I can't while I am in Spain, progress, sigh

Cool!

Ah well, I provided some functionality but I think the person who really
contributed heavily to matlab-mode.el is Eric Ludlam, who unfortunately
is too busy to maintain matlab-mode.el, so I just  stepped in.

Thanks though for keeping the maintenance alive.

Ah well there are two problems with that:

    -  a technical one. The real difference between these two packages
       IMHO is their shell. The relevant matlab code was written over a
       very long period of time (starting in 91), is very matlab
       specific and looks very complicated to me. I am not really sure
       that anyone besides Eric understands it.

    -  a copyright issue. I did not discuss this in detail on this list,
       but RMS asked me why the code could not be in ELPA instead of
       being in MELPA and the reason is that MathWorks has some
       copyright over some parts of the code and it is very very
       unlikely that they will transfer that copyright to the FSF. The
       code is under GPL2+ though.

Understood. matlab-mode.el was just an example. I used to express that once you have the copyright paperwork, it's much easier to contribute to Emacs :) But it's great that you are already looking into it.

Kaushal Modi