Re: Is it time to drop ChangeLogs?

From: Phillip Lord
Subject: Re: Is it time to drop ChangeLogs?
Date: Thu, 07 Jul 2016 17:28:23 +0100

Noam Postavsky <address@hidden> writes:
>>> I've been sending patches to bug threads, and often getting useful
>>> feedback on them (and since it's by email, the comments can easily be
>>> inline). Personally, I don't find it more clunky than pushing to a
>>> branch, and then opening a PR in a web browser.
>>
>> This is true for the first patch, but not true for additional commits.
>
> Yeah, you're right about that. Most of my Emacs patches so far have
> been small enough that it didn't really bother me too much.

Indeed. And there are many patches to emacs which affect one small part
of Emacs. No worries. I don't think it's necessarily the case that all
changes should go through PR. It depends on the experience of the
developer and the criticality of the code.

>From my own perspective, I like code review, and would always be happy
to have feedback on my code, but that many not be possible.

>>> Yes, some patches are forgotten, but I don't see how a PR "system"
>>> makes that less likely to happen, e.g., cask has a bunch of open PRs
>>> sitting around: https://github.com/cask/cask/pulls.
>>
>> I think you have just demonstrated my point. You found out all the
>> outstanding ones also.

>>> I thought that was the current system. Here is the queue:
>>> http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/pkgreport.cgi?package=emacs;include=tags%3Apatch;bug-rev=on
>>
>> Again, also my point.
>
> If your point is that there are more open patches in Emacs than cask,
> IMO that's mostly because Emacs is a larger and older project.

No, sorry, I was being opaque. Having a nice queue system is a good
thing, and we could use debbugs to do pull requests also, was my point.

Phil