Re: Is it time to drop ChangeLogs?

From: Dmitry Gutov
Subject: Re: Is it time to drop ChangeLogs?
Date: Sat, 9 Jul 2016 01:58:48 +0300

From: Óscar Fuentes <address@hidden>

You rarely are interested on the whole file. vc-region-history makes
wonders when you care about part of the file (a function, for instance.)

That's "git log -L" that I mentioned.  It's startup time is not
negligible.

Personally, I've never found vc-region-history too useful (as opposed to e.g. vc-annotate).

Besides, having to jump to the bug is a nuisance
(some people mentioned that having the ChangeLogs readily available on
the tarballs is an advantage.) It is not necessary to duplicate the
whole discussion, but briefly mentioning what the problem was and why it
was decided to solve it this way would be helpful.

This request is unreasonable.  If nothing else, it will make the bar
for contributing higher, not lower.  The information is recorded in
the bug discussion, and there's no need to reproduce it in the log
message.

We do encourage that, actually, though not require (bar for contributing, etc). This can be especially useful when the issue is not-to-complex, but the bug discussion is long.

Mentioned near "rationale for a change" in CONTRIBUTE.