Re: Latest master broken on Cocoa/NS

From: martin rudalics
Subject: Re: Latest master broken on Cocoa/NS
Date: Fri, 15 Jul 2016 17:20:30 +0200

>> But it does ring a bell here: for company-mode's popup menus, we'd want
>> to be able to create non-toolkit popup frames, even if Emacs was built
>> with support for toolkit popup frames.
>
> We also want to be able to show multiple popup frames simultaneously.
Avoiding global variables seems like a good change in this regard.

Tooltips can't be used for that purpose because there's inherently only
one tooltip for any instance of Emacs.  Dimitry relaxes this restriction
slightly by allowing one tooltip per display.  Neither of these
restrictions is really necessary.  We could allow an arbitrary number of
tooltips simultaneously with the minor drawback that one sometimes has
to scan the frame list for finding them.  No great deal.

One question is whether and what kind of input we want for such frames.
Or, as Eli would put it, whether they should become "first-class"
frames.  And obviously some support is needed like, for example, a
‘move-frame-functions’ hook to allow "non-child" popup frames move
together with their parent frame.

I have so called "mini frames" working here.  If anyone's interested I
can post the patch (obviously to be applied before Dimitry's changes).

martin