Re: [ELPA] New package: GNU Hyperbole 6.0

From: Robert Weiner
Subject: Re: [ELPA] New package: GNU Hyperbole 6.0
Date: Sat, 16 Jul 2016 00:25:03 -0400

On Fri, Jul 15, 2016 at 11:39 PM, Stefan Monnier <address@hidden> wrote:

I usually prefer packages be installed as subtrees, but in the case of
large packages like this one, it makes more sense to install it as an
"external" which is more like a submodule (it's actually just
a separate branch in the same repository).

​Ok, we'll look at that.  We really just want the easiest approach where multiple people can contribute and it is easy to push releases to ELPA.​

> Since we don't have push rights to the ELPA repository we would need that.

That's easy to arrange.  Request membership in the "emacs" group from
your Savannah page.

​Thanks for the pointer, Stefan.  This has now been done.
We also submitted for rights to upload to ftp.gnu.org.
Right.  The Git repository is empty and the Hg repository seems to only
go up to 2013, so I can't give an opinion on the current code.
I'll just assume the general shape hasn't changed much.  Any reason why
the real code is still not in there?

​We are just now going to create the Git repository so we start with a modern codebase.
In the meantime, you can inspect the latest release at: www.plasmas.biz/rswe/hyperbole-6.0.tar
I have digitally signed that release as well (so JohnW you could work with it).​

One of the main limitations of ELPA is that it doesn't really like Elisp
files other than in the root directory.  If I look at the Hg repository,
all Elisp files except for the kotl/*.el are in the root dir, so it
looks OK (and it'd be easy to move those kotl/* files to the root).

​This is silly in 2016; packages should be able to have multiple subdirectories of code as many real-world software packages do.  Step by step, we'll get there.

Cheers,

Bob

        Stefan