Re: Unbalanced change hooks (part 2) [Documentation fix still remaining]

From: Alan Mackenzie
Subject: Re: Unbalanced change hooks (part 2) [Documentation fix still remaining]
Date: Wed, 10 Aug 2016 17:49:30 +0000

Hello, Eli.

On Wed, Aug 10, 2016 at 07:54:36PM +0300, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
> > Date: Wed, 10 Aug 2016 16:18:21 +0000
> > Cc: Stefan Monnier <address@hidden>, address@hidden
> > From: Alan Mackenzie <address@hidden>

[ .... ]

> > Some while ago, I think you said that there is a systematic basis for
> > when before-change-functions doesn't get called.  Is that still your
> > view?

> Yes.

> > If so, let's document that system.

> It's too complicated to describe that.  We would need to describe some
> internal aspects of the implementation in great detail.  I don't see
> that as worth our while.

I can't see the difference between your last paragraph and saying it's
totally arbitrary.  If the only way to categorise it is to say "look at
the source code" that's arbitrary.

It can not be a good thing for the call to before-change-functions to be
missed out arbitrarily.

--
Alan Mackenzie (Nuremberg, Germany).