Re: image-dired: Check all external programs available

From: Tino Calancha
Subject: Re: image-dired: Check all external programs available
Date: Wed, 31 Aug 2016 21:07:14 +0900 (JST)

On Tue, 30 Aug 2016, Mathias Dahl wrote:

From my viewpoint, and after just a quick overview of the changes, I think it looks good. If we can present more meaningful error messages
to the user, it can only be good.
I noticed you did a small change in the logic surrounding jpegtran; IIUC
you fallback to use "convert" if jpegtran is not available.

As you know, 'convert' also can rotate an image. I have noticed that 'jpegtran' is not included in the Debian repositories; 'convert' is in Debian rep. and is also used to create the thumbnail and the temporary image so it should be installed to use this lib anyway.
The default value for 'image-dired-cmd-rotate-original-options' is set
accordingly with the executable used: jpegtran or convert.

Another way could be to drop 'jpegtran' dependency and just set 'convert' as default value for the following three options;
image-dired-cmd-create-thumbnail-program
image-dired-cmd-create-temp-image-program
image-dired-cmd-rotate-original-program

As long as you have tested both scenarios I'm fine with the change.
The same goes for the other changes of course, that they are tested and works well. Someone else has to apply this to the Emacs source code however, since I'm not up-to-date
with how commits are done these days.
I will keep testing during this week.  Then, if everything is OK
i will push the patch to the Emacs repository.
Thanks!
Thank you very much!

Tino