Re: Too many warnings building Emacs with GCC 6 on MSYS2-MinGW64

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Too many warnings building Emacs with GCC 6 on MSYS2-MinGW64
Date: Wed, 31 Aug 2016 21:18:53 +0300

> Cc: address@hidden
> From: Angelo Graziosi <address@hidden>
> Date: Wed, 31 Aug 2016 19:40:50 +0200
>
> > If you change the prototype in ms-w32.h to say this:
> >
> >   extern intptr_t execve (const char *, char * const [], char * const []);
> >
> > do these warnings go away?
> >

> Really I already did this with this simple test case:

I couldn't know you did that already, could I?

> $ cat test.c
> #include <stdint.h>
>
> /*extern intptr_t execve (const char *, char * const *, char * const *);*/
> extern intptr_t execve (const char *, char * const [], char * const []);
>
> int main()
> {
>    return 0;
> }
>
> $ gcc test.c
> test.c:4:17: warning: conflicting types for built-in function ‘execve’
>   extern intptr_t execve (const char *, char * const [], char * const []);

Then I don't know what to do about this.  Since GCC doesn't show the
prototype of its built-in, I have no idea which part of the prototype
triggers the warning.  The above suggestion was taken straight out of
the MinGW64 headers, which is the best I can do.

Maybe ask on the MinGW64 forum about this.  They might be more privy
to GCC internals than I am.

Sorry.