Re: xdg-directories.el

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: xdg-directories.el
Date: Wed, 07 Sep 2016 20:24:53 +0300

> From: Stefan Monnier <address@hidden>
> Date: Wed, 07 Sep 2016 12:46:54 -0400
>
> > If the script is only run to find the PICTURES and DOCUMENTS
> > directories, then at least on Windows those could be found by
> > alternative means that don't use any scripts.  (We don't currently
> > have a Lisp-visible API for that, but it'd be easy to add.)
>
> Should we use XDG under Windows?
> [my gut feeling is "hell, no", but I really have no idea. ]

What do you mean by "use XDG"?

We can honor the XDG environment variables, if they are defined (we
already do in a couple of places), and if not, fall back to standard
Windows places.  (Actually, as you might know, Windows _invented_ all
those places in the first place, and freedesktop just copycat that.
Windows had "My Documents", "My Pictures", "My Music", etc. since much
more than the last 6 years.)

My point was that the "standard places" on Windows don't need us to
run a shell script, as on GNU/Linux.