Re: Emacs Mac port

From: martin rudalics
Subject: Re: Emacs Mac port
Date: Sun, 18 Sep 2016 11:52:44 +0200

> Not actually.  I think some of X11 window managers do rounding on
> resize by mouse dragging if `frame-resize-pixelwise' is nil (at least,
> quartz-wm does so).

Hopefully all of them do.  I (silently) do not round on Windows because
there we do not have those line x column indicators which are (IMO) the
sole good reason for rounding on X11.  Apart from performance problems.

> If user wants resize by mouse dragging to follow
> the mouse strictly, then she or he can set `frame-resize-pixelwise' to
> t.

That's the idea, yes.

> Also, unlike the NS port, the Mac port does not "white out" the screen
> during mouse dragging but updates the contents, and it is a bit heavy
> operation.  Rounding during mouse dragging also acts as "coalescing"
> screen updates.

Makes sense.

> (Actually, the way to implement this screen updating during mouse
>   dragging on the Mac port interferes with "window snapping" introduced
>   in macOS 10.12, so it is disabled if running on that version.)

So what do you do with "window snapping"?  Can you ask for a "white
out"?

> Rounding does not happen for the axis that is specified to be
> maximized/full so that it does not leave spaces.  So, rounding happens
> only for horizontal axis when the fullscreen frame parameter is set to
> 'fullheight if `frame-resize-pixelwise' is nil.

Sounds reasonable.  Hmm...

Leaves me with one question: When do you suppress rounding with
`frame-resize-pixelwise' nil?  Only for "for the axis that is specified
to be maximized/full"?  Or are there other cases?

martin