Re: Getting start on Emacs 25.2

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Getting start on Emacs 25.2
Date: Thu, 22 Sep 2016 18:15:59 +0300

> From: address@hidden (Phillip Lord)
> Cc: John Wiegley <address@hidden>,  address@hidden,  address@hidden
> Date: Thu, 22 Sep 2016 13:57:02 +0100
>
> >> I think 25.2 should be a bugfix only release, happening very soon.
> >
> > Then we'd need a good definition of what changes constitute a
> > "bugfix".
>
> I don't think anyone has managed that for any form of software. A
> working rule of thumb is the best we are likely to get, but that should
> be enough.

There's no differences between the two, for our purposes in this
case.  Rule of thumb is the same as definition in this context, and
both need to be good.  Otherwise, we will either release 25.2 that
won't be an improvement wrt 25.1, or will waste a lot of time and
energy arguing just what changes to commit to the release branch.