Re: interactive closure — variables not bound

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: interactive closure — variables not bound
Date: Wed, 28 Sep 2016 20:07:03 -0400

> I guessed that this odd behaviour must be a result of calling the
> callback procedure from C with “call1”.  I thought that maybe this is
> expected behaviour when calling a procedure that interacts with the user
> through the mini-buffer (as read-string does) when it is not using the
> “interactive” form.

read-string works just as well from outside an interactive spec.

My crystal ball tells me that it suspects the culprit is that the code
calls the Elisp callback asynchronously, i.e. from a different thread.
IOW it thinks that the code doesn't bother to go through the Elisp event
queue to synchronize with the Elisp engine.

        Stefan