RE: [Emacs-diffs] feature/integrated-elpa 4f6df43 15/23: README added

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: [Emacs-diffs] feature/integrated-elpa 4f6df43 15/23: README added
Date: Fri, 30 Sep 2016 07:20:11 -0700 (PDT)

> > I hope that:
> >
> > 1. The Lisp code distributed with Emacs will continue to include all
> >    that has been included before, so users do not need to use package.el
> >    etc. to obtain any of it.
>
> I am suggesting that we enable the use of package.el as part of the
> Emacs build to compile and generate the autoloads for packages in Emacs
> core.

Sounds good (IIUC).  So you are talking not about users having to use
package.el but just the Emacs build using package.el.

> > 2. All Emacs Lisp code, apart from 3rd-party libraries, will continue
> >    to be available in .../lisp/, so users can easily grep for it and
> >    use `M-x find-library', without messing with packages.
>
> This, I am suggesting we change, so that we have two locations for lisp
> packages dependent on their file organisation. The lisp code will still
> be available, though.

I am no doubt a minority of one, but I do not want to have to use
package.el at all, especially just to be able to use vanilla Emacs
(standard distribution).

> > 3. The source-code directory structure under .../lisp/ does not become
> >    any, or much, deeper.  So far, *.el, */*.el, and */*/*.el are
> >    sufficient.
>
> I would not want to change this.

How does your answer here fit with your answer for #2?  I would like
to find everything under .../lisp/ still, with a simple subdir structure.

But again, I'm no doubt a minority of one.  Just saying what I prefer.