Re: Windows emacs-25.1 i686 vs x86_64?

From: Paul Eggert
Subject: Re: Windows emacs-25.1 i686 vs x86_64?
Date: Sun, 6 Nov 2016 01:10:26 -0700

Eli Zaretskii wrote:
> I would argue against this. I removed the material on Windows 9x since
> it has long since reached EOL -- 10 years, or 25% of Emacs' existance.
That is true, but we still try supporting those old systems, as they
are widespread in the 3rd world.

That may have been true a decade ago, but Windows 9x is no longer a practical porting target even in the third world. For what it's worth, statcounter.com lists WinME's popularity as dropping from 0.37% of China's desktop market in March 2014 to 0.01% in August of this year, and they no longer even bother measuring its popularity in Africa.

Besides, at this point it borders on technical malpractice to suggest to users that it's OK to use Windows 9x to run Emacs.