Re: [Emacs-diffs] emacs-25 d4e1549: Guard terminal parameter in XTerm mo

From: Philipp Stephani
Subject: Re: [Emacs-diffs] emacs-25 d4e1549: Guard terminal parameter in XTerm mouse mode
Date: Thu, 24 Nov 2016 08:58:28 +0000

Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> schrieb am Mi., 23. Nov. 2016 um 18:23 Uhr:
> From: Philipp Stephani <address@hidden>
> Date: Wed, 23 Nov 2016 17:09:30 +0000
> Cc: address@hidden, address@hidden
>
>  Does this have to be applied to the release branch? If so, can you
>  tell why?
>
> It's a very annoying and highly visible bug, and the fix is trivial and cannot possibly break anything.

It wasn't reported until now, was it?  So I guess it's only visible
under some conditions that don't happen very often.

It happens always when selecting text with the mouse in HTerm, I think that happens very often. Perhaps people just ignore the error message most of the time.

Can you tell since when do we have this bug?  If it exists long
enough, I don't think we should do this on the release branch, it goes
against the criteria for bug fixes there.

What are the criteria? CONTRIBUTE states
"Release branches […] are mainly
intended for more-conservative changes such as bug fixes. […]
If you are fixing a bug that exists in the current release, be sure to
commit it to the release branch; […]"
For me this makes it clear that bug fixes are always appropriate on the release branches. If the actual policy is different, please document it in CONTRIBUTE.
I've seen some talk about bugfix-only releases, but I think the policy should be clearer and better documented to avoid such discussions.
--

Google Germany GmbH
Erika-Mann-Straße 33

Sitz der Gesellschaft: Hamburg
Geschäftsführer: Matthew Scott Sucherman, Paul Terence Manicle

Diese E-Mail ist vertraulich. Wenn Sie nicht der richtige Adressat sind, leiten Sie diese bitte nicht weiter, informieren Sie den Absender und löschen Sie die E-Mail und alle Anhänge. Vielen Dank.

This e-mail is confidential. If you are not the right addressee please do not forward it, please inform the sender, and please erase this e-mail including any attachments. Thanks.