Re: Regarding performance issues with the Emacs 25.1 Windows-build

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: Regarding performance issues with the Emacs 25.1 Windows-build
Date: Wed, 30 Nov 2016 15:11:35 -0500

  > While I think comparing performance between Linux to Windows is a
  > reasonable to a certain extent,

It makes no sense to compare Linux with Windows.  Windows is an
operating system; Linux is a kernel, one component of an operating
system.

If you are thinking of a system that is comparable to Windows, and has
Linux in it, that must be the GNU/Linux system.  GNU/Linux is the GNU
operating system (which I launched in 1984) plus the kernel Linux.

GNU Emacs, which I started in September 1984, was the first component
of the GNU system to be released to users.  This list is used for
further development of GNU.

To call the whole GNU/Linux system "Linux" is to attribute our work to
Torvalds.  It's unfair to us, and it reduces our ability to do more
for users' freedom.  Please don't do that.

Please give us equal mention, by saying "GNU/Linux" when you mean the
whole system.

See http://gnu.org/gnu/linux-and-gnu.html and
http://gnu.org/gnu/gnu-linux-faq.html, plus the history in
http://gnu.org/gnu/the-gnu-project.html.