Re: forward-comment and syntax-ppss

From: Alan Mackenzie
Subject: Re: forward-comment and syntax-ppss
Date: Wed, 7 Dec 2016 22:04:47 +0000

Hello, Clément.

On Wed, Dec 07, 2016 at 09:53:26AM -0500, Clément Pit--Claudel wrote:

[ .... ]

> Also: Isn't something that works fine on millions in of Emacs
> instances and has been in production for over 15 years "ready for
> production" by definition?  I haven't seen many issues reported about
> syntax-ppss since I started following the bugs list a year ago…

You haven't seen "many" issues about syntax-ppss?  One is enough, if
it's bad enough.

Read up on bug #22983.  Basically, syntax-ppss is fundamentally broken.
It won't work with narrowing of buffers, and delivers inconsistent
results which aren't in accordance with what the function's doc says it
does.  This breakage isn't anything that can be fixed.  The only way to
deal with it seems to be to remove syntax-ppss and replace it with a new
function.

--
Alan Mackenzie (Nuremberg, Germany).