Re: compilation-mode, face, font-lock-face

From: Stephen Leake
Subject: Re: compilation-mode, face, font-lock-face
Date: Thu, 02 Feb 2017 10:47:01 -0600

Michael Heerdegen <address@hidden> writes:

> Stephen Leake <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> As I understand it, 'font-lock-face' is supposed to be set only by
>> font-lock; 'face' should be set by any other mechanism.
>
> AFAIK, no - rather the opposite.
>
> 'face' is dynamically updated by font-lock, so if you modify this text
> property directly in a buffer that has font-lock turned on, you get no
> visible effect most of the time.  You have to use font-lock-face in this
> case, as an instruction to font-lock to use the respective face when
> fontifying the buffer.  See (info "(elisp) Special Properties").

Ok, that at least defines what the 'face' and 'font-lock-face'
properties are supposed to do.

But it's still not working; 'font-lock-face' text properties are
present, but do not affect the display.

Hmm; the info says this can happen if font-lock-mode is disabled. I have
it turned on globally, and did nothing to turn it off. However, M-:
font-lock-mode returns nil, so somehow it is being disabled.

Ah; font-lock-mode contains this:

  (when (or noninteractive (eq (aref (buffer-name) 0) ?\s))
    (setq font-lock-mode nil))

my buffer name begins with a space; it is supposed to be normally
invisible to users, only exposed when it has interesting stuff. Removing
that space enables font-lock.

--
-- Stephe