Re: Bug #25608 and the comment-cache branch

From: Alan Mackenzie
Subject: Re: Bug #25608 and the comment-cache branch
Date: Mon, 6 Feb 2017 18:37:16 +0000

Hello, Stefan.

On Sun, Feb 05, 2017 at 20:12:13 -0500, Stefan Monnier wrote:
> >         |      Speed       Direction of scanning     Correct parsing
> > CC      |       OK             forwards                   yes
> > M-t     |       OK             backwards                  no [1]
> > M-nil   |       Slow           backwards                  probably [2]
> > AP      |       OK             backwards                  no [3]

> And its parsing is correct if you assume that syntax-ppss works
> correctly ....

syntax-ppss doesn't work correctly, as you know full well, having
snipped the bug number (#22983) for the breakage from what you've cited.
That bug has been open for almost a year, and there was a whole thread
on emacs-devel about asking for it to be fixed back last summer.  I've
asked several times since then for it to be fixed, to no avail.

> .... (and if it doesn't, it's something that needs to be fixed
> anyway because it has much worse consequences than just messing
> (forward-comment -1)).

All the signs are that it will never be fixed.  If I'm wrong here, set
yourself a deadline for fixing it and let us know what that deadline is.

--
Alan Mackenzie (Nuremberg, Germany).