Re: Merging Org tests

From: Phillip Lord
Subject: Re: Merging Org tests
Date: Wed, 15 Feb 2017 10:55:46 +0000

> address@hidden (Phillip Lord) writes:
>
>>> Also, how strictly must the suggested file organization be followed?
>>> Skimming "make-test-deps.emacs-lisp" it seems it might have to be followed
>>> rather strictly.
>>
>> It depends what you want. make-test-deps.emacs-lisp is there so that
>> "make check-maybe" can work sanely to run (some approximation of) just
>> those tests that need running. I thought this was a good thing to have,
>> because "make check" takes too long to run in a commit hook.
>
> In general it is a good thing (tm). But there shall be
> improvements. Currently, if you want to run foo-tests.el, it depends on
> foo.el. Often, this is sufficient. But for larger packages, like Org or
> Tramp, this is not sufficient. So it might be good to maintain a list of
> foo*.el files, a test file foo-tests.el shall depend on.

Of course. make-test-deps.emacs-lisp just generates a make file for the
cases where I can infer dependencies based on the name. If there are
special cases, we could just stick the dependencies in to the main
Makefile by hand. Or, alternatively, rewrite make-test-deps.emacs-lisp
to be more intelligent and pull out require forms from the test files.

Phil