Re: vc with svn and git

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: vc with svn and git
Date: Fri, 24 Feb 2017 19:11:45 -0500

>> That's right.  It's perfectly normal to have more than one backend
>> covering the same files.
>>> VC should ask what backend to use in case of ambiguity,
>> That tends to be rather annoying, in my experience.
> Hypothetically?

No: I've used a setup with combined CVS+RCS setup for quite a while
(hence `vc-switch-backend`), and tried the "prompt" route but even by
making the prompt lazy (i.e. only prompt when you want to actually run
a command) I found it too annoying (and making the prompt lazy is
actually hard to do with the current system, I only experimented with
it via big ugly hack).

> Ah, thanks. Seems to work (for files, not directories).

It predates vc-dir, but it shouldn't be difficult to make it work in
vc-dir.

        Stefan