Bug report statistics on OS and arch

From: Glenn Morris
Subject: Bug report statistics on OS and arch
Date: Fri, 10 Mar 2017 19:44:22 -0500

Because it's Friday afternoon, some statistics from the Emacs bug database.
These don't represent anything other than who is making bug reports
(and including the template information), and are just for your amusement.
I haven't done anything fancy like include each distinct reporter email
address only once, so a particularly enthusiastic bug reporter could
skew the results. [1]

Based on the arch triplets (eg x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu) in the
"In GNU Emacs (xxx)" lines (11023 reports dating back 9 years):

5851 linux-gnu (53%)
3294 mingw     (30%)
1627 apple     (15%)
 111 cygwin     (1%)
  61 freebsd    (<1%)
  39 solaris
  22 netbsd
  10 openbsd
   4 aix
   2 hpux
   1 irix
   1 kfreebsd-gnu

5899 i?86     (54%)
4787 x86_64   (43%)
 174 powerpc   (2%)
  83 mips      (<1%)
  32 sparc
  31 amd64
  13 arm
   2 hppa
   1 ia64
   1 alpha

Based on the "System Distribution:" lines (2327 reports dating back 4.5 years):

866 Ubuntu   (37%)
691 Debian   (30%)
187 Fedora    (8%)
148 Arch      (6%)
104 SUSE      (4%)
 92 Gentoo    (4%)
 75 Mint      (3%)
 72 RHEL      (3%)
 26 Trisquel  (1%)
 24 gNewSense (1%)
  9 CentOS    (<1%)
  8 elementary OS
  4 Scientific Linux
  3 Devuan
  3 LMDE
  3 Raspbian
 11 Other, none with > 2

[1] If I tell you that one person is responsible for 10% of the 18500
Emacs bug reports over the past 9 years (next most enthusiastic is me
with 2%), you can see that this effect can be significant.