Re: Change Tramp syntax

From: John Wiegley
Subject: Re: Change Tramp syntax
Date: Tue, 04 Apr 2017 14:08:35 -0700

MA> I believe it won't be too much bad feedback after people have understood
MA> the change. Some years ago, the obscure /multi:ssh:host1:ssh:host2: syntax
MA> was removed, even w/o an alternative. Later, the alternative
MA> /ssh:host1|ssh:host2: was introduced. People did accept.

MA> Of course, I'm biased, and there might have been a lot of frustration from
MA> people because of that change. But then it didn't reach me.

I was one of those people, I just didn't complain when multihost was changed.
I'd never even heard about host1|host2 until today! I assumed multihost was
forever borked and had been using .ssh/config to manage multihops. It's great
to hear there's a way to use one-off multihops again. You just gave me a new
feature. :)

MA> Adding pure ange-ftp like syntax, as I have offered, seems to be a good
MA> compromise for all of us.

Yes, indeed!

MA> And please take also into account, that I mean it seriously: if you insist
MA> in keeping the syntax as it was, I will insist in seeing other people
MA> working on Tramp. I'm the lonely maintainer since 2004, and there are no
MA> remarkable contributions from somebody else except tramp-adb.el, written
MA> by Juergen Hoetzel.

I hear you, and I appreciate where you're coming from. On the flip side, I
also have to take all Emacs users into account. Not everyone knows whats going
on, or understands Tramp; and they want Emacs to just "continue working" as
much as possible, even while we improve things and right old wrongs.

Your proposed syntax fits this bill. In the meantime, I'll keep an eye out for
people who might be willing to contribute to Tramp. It's an essential package.