Re: Recent change in master breaks async package update using paradox

From: Kaushal Modi
Subject: Re: Recent change in master breaks async package update using paradox
Date: Thu, 06 Apr 2017 11:28:19 +0000

On Thu, Apr 6, 2017, 7:01 AM Lars Brinkhoff <address@hidden> wrote:
Kaushal Modi <address@hidden> writes:
>     Could you please tell me the exact steps you did to get the error?
>     I'd like to try to reproduce it myself.
>
> - Install paradox from GNU Elpa

I didn't see it in Elpa, so I installed it from Melpa.

> - (paradox-enable)

Had to type (require 'paradox)

> - M-x list-packages (This will now open the default package manager,
> but with additions made by paradox).
> - Install any package ( i x ), and then hit 'y' when asked if you want
> to do that asynchronously.

Had to install async first.

> - You will then see the error I mentioned in my first email of this
> thread.

I successfully installed "0xc" asynchronously.

I'll check out the very latest master and do a full rebuilt from a clean
repo, and then redo the steps.

Thanks for attempting to recreate the issue. When I get to a computer, I'll put in the full details of how to recreate this from an emacs -Q session in a separate bug thread.

As you mentioned in the paradox GitHub thread, a problem could be that when async runs on my machine, it probably runs an older Emacs.

Would you or anyone on the list have an idea if we can specify which exact emacs binary should be used for this "other" emacs process?

I build emacs locally at work, and set the PATH in my shell config. Without that, the default emacs version is 23.x. I would have expected async to spawn off another emacs instance of the same version/binary as the parent process. Is that not the case?
--

Kaushal Modi