Re: master has switched from Automake to GNU Make

From: Noam Postavsky
Subject: Re: master has switched from Automake to GNU Make
Date: Tue, 11 Apr 2017 09:34:00 -0400

On Tue, Apr 11, 2017 at 6:55 AM, martin rudalics <address@hidden> wrote:
>> That sounds wrong. It never happens to me, I expect because my
>> workflow differs. Can you give a way to reproduce your problem?
>> Perhaps there's a way we can fix the Git configuration so that it
>> doesn't happen to you in the future.
>
> Today again git complained about my dumb terminal and when I tried to
> commit manually it told me:
>
> address@hidden:~/emacs-git/slow$ git commit -m "Dumb"
> admin/unidata/SpecialCasing.txt:200: trailing whitespace.
> +# The remainder of this file provides conditional casing data used to
> produce
> admin/unidata/SpecialCasing.txt:281: new blank line at EOF.
>
> I don't understand our policy wrt trailing whitespace.  Even without
> that dumb terminal issue I occasionally will have to commit manually
> after a pull, for example, when fixing conflicts.

I can reproduce this. [1: b3b9b258c4] introduced the trailing
whitespace. If you merge that commit any child of it without
conflicts, then the whitespace check is not triggered. If you rebase
over that commit or any child of it, then the whitespace check is not
triggered. If you merge that commit or any child of it *with*
conflicts (the conflicts can be unrelated) then the whitespace check
is triggered when you commit the resolution.

Furthermore, I believe the whitespace check is only installed if you
run './autogen git' or './autogen all'. If you just plain './autogen'
then the git hooks are not installed.

I guess most people are rebasing instead of merging or didn't install
the git hooks and hence don't see this kind of failure.

1: 2017-04-06 20:54:58 +0200 b3b9b258c4026baa1cad3f2e617f1a637fc8d205
  Support casing characters which map into multiple code points  (bug#24603)