Re: Advice needed on modeline customization hack...

From: Perry E. Metzger
Subject: Re: Advice needed on modeline customization hack...
Date: Sun, 16 Apr 2017 18:06:20 -0400

On Sun, 16 Apr 2017 16:59:01 -0400 Clément Pit-Claudel
<address@hidden> wrote:
> >> Maybe "displayed column numbers" instead of "column numbers"?
> > So how would you like the final version to read?
>
> Would "Otherwise, displayed column numbers start from one." work?
> Or does it sound unnatural?

It seems fine to me, I'll make your suggested change.

I found an issue, though, which is that there's code throughout
xdisp.c that checks if w->column_number_displayed is the same as
current_column() in order to decide if it should update the modeline.
Naturally what I've done will break that.

I'm thinking perhaps I should add a flag to the window structure
instead that says "add one when printing this" instead of changing
the value of w->column_number_displayed, but I can't quite figure out
where the modeline actually gets printed, only where
column_number_displayed gets set.

(I'll keep hunting unless someone pipes up.)

Perry
--
Perry E. Metzger                address@hidden