Re: Advice needed on modeline customization hack...

From: Perry E. Metzger
Subject: Re: Advice needed on modeline customization hack...
Date: Mon, 17 Apr 2017 14:55:38 -0400

On Mon, 17 Apr 2017 21:23:35 +0300 Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> wrote:
> > Date: Mon, 17 Apr 2017 14:07:40 -0400
> > From: "Perry E. Metzger" <address@hidden>
> > Cc: address@hidden, address@hidden,
> > address@hidden
> >
> > On Mon, 17 Apr 2017 18:34:25 +0300 Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden>
> > wrote:
> > > The entry should be preceded by "+++", to indicate that the
> > > manuals were updated.
> >
> > I vaguely remember that convention but I couldn't find it
> > documented
>
> It's documented at the beginning of NEWS.  And you can see examples
> of that in other NEWS entries.

Maybe it isn't documented on master that way? This is what I see at
the start of the file, and a search for "+++" in the NEWS file on the
master branch turns up nothing:

-----
GNU Emacs NEWS -- history of user-visible changes.

Copyright (C) 2014-2017 Free Software Foundation, Inc.
See the end of the file for license conditions.

Please send Emacs bug reports to address@hidden
If possible, use M-x report-emacs-bug.

This file is about changes in Emacs version 25.

See file HISTORY for a list of GNU Emacs versions and release dates.
See files NEWS.24, NEWS.23, NEWS.22, NEWS.21, NEWS.20, NEWS.19, NEWS.18,
and NEWS.1-17 for changes in older Emacs versions.

You can narrow news to a specific version by calling 'view-emacs-news'
with a prefix argument or by typing C-u C-h C-n.

^L
* Changes in Emacs 25.2

This is mainly a bug-fix release, but there are some other changes.

-----

> > +(defcustom column-number-indicator-zero-based t
> > +  "When set to true, Column Number mode displays columns starting
> > +from zero at the left margin of the window. Otherwise, displayed
> > +column numbers start from one."
>
> The first line of a doc string should be a complete sentence.
> Something like
>
>     When non-nil, mode line displays column numbers zero-based.

Gotcha. Will fix that for later.

> Let's wait for a few days to give others a chance to comment.

Sounds good.

Perry
--
Perry E. Metzger                address@hidden