Re: libnettle/libhogweed WIP

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: libnettle/libhogweed WIP
Date: Wed, 19 Apr 2017 10:54:55 -0400

> I think it's important to discuss the expected results, because we
> could avoid encoding the string, either inside or outside of the
> functions, and just use its bytes instead, disregarding their
> interpretation as characters.  The question is: would that yield what
> users will want and expect?  The answer could be YES in some use cases
> and NO in others.

Indeed, in some cases we might want to work on multibyte text without
encoding it at all.  Maybe we could have an argument specifying that the
caller intends to operate on the internal encoding.

But what shouldn't be in those functions is encoding/decoding: if
encoding/decoding is needed, then it should be done before/after calling
the functions.

        Stefan