Re: i18n/l10n summary

From: Paul Eggert
Subject: Re: i18n/l10n summary
Date: Sun, 4 Jun 2017 08:54:31 -0700

Philipp Stephani wrote:
It's not hard to fix,

Thanks. However, on my platform those fixes slowed down a microbenchmark (format "%d %s %c" 3 "def" ?‘) by 7%, so I installed the attached further patch, which recovered the performance loss for me. It avoids the need for the extra pass through the format string and it caches more quantities in registers. While I was at it I changed the doc to agree with POSIX that %% should not have modifiers (not that we enforce this).

One little thing that has tripped me up in the past. In Emacs the preferred style is typically to break assignments and initializations before the "=", not after. Like this:

  int some_long_name
    = some_long_expression;

I myself prefer the style you used, as it's more column-efficient and it simplifies text searches for assignments to a variable, but there it is.