Re: init_system_name fqdn?

From: Ken Olum
Subject: Re: init_system_name fqdn?
Date: Sat, 17 Jun 2017 10:17:01 -0400

If your system has no fully qualified domain name, i.e., there is no DNS
entry that points to this host, then of course you cannot receive and
probably cannot send email, and I don't think it's very important
exactly how it fails.  But if your system is properly set up as an
Internet host but gethostname does not return the FQDN (e.g., because
you put the short name first in /etc/hosts), then I think
init_system_name should use the FQDN.  In the cases in which I have
observed this, "hostname -f" does return the FQDN.

In emacs-24, the procedure of init_system_name was to first do
gethostname, but if that didn't return a qualified name, it would try
getaddrinfo with ai_canonname, and if that failed look in the list of
aliases given by gethostbyname.  Later all this code was removed and now
it just calls gethostname.

                                        Ken